This is not your typical Meetup group. It is not intended for those who only want to meet new people. This Meetup is designed for those who are interested in learning how to have more happiness and meaning in their lives.
Meetup 2019 Lesson 7:
Why the Quest For Meaning is Nature’s Way of Healing And Flourishing
To understand the Why and How of our existential quest for meaning, we need to first understand the paradoxical PURE definition of meaning in reverse order:
(1) Enjoyment of life cannot not be realized as one’s end good or terminal goal because pursuing personal happiness as one’s ultimate purpose in life only leads to loneliness and misery. Happiness can only be experienced as the process and the consequence of living a good life in relationships.
(2) Responsibility in choosing the right path is the key to healing and flourishing. There are numerous options. Making a wrong choice based on misguided values can lead to disaster. Assuming personal and social responsibility for living the good life requires the practical wisdom of choosing the right path and the courage to pursue it in spite of limitations, risks, and sacrifices.
(3) Understanding depends on making good use of our natural capacity for reasoning. We need to understand our inherent limitations and frailties, and our place in the world in the larger scheme. It means we need to understand that we are living in an interconnected and complicated world, and we need humility, acceptance, and cooperation in order to live a good life. It also means that we need to understand our calling – why we are placed in this world at this time of history.
(4) Purpose is hardwired in all creatures. Birds are made to fly, and fish are made to swim. Likewise, human beings are made to live in a community, and be in harmony with nature and a transcendental reality. Each person has a different purpose in life depending one one’s talents, temperament, and culture, but one’s purpose has to be the pursuit of what is naturally and existentially good for society and personal fulfillment. Properly understood, what is good for humanity and what is good for the individual should be compatible, because we are all human beings.
Paradoxically, the practice of the PURE way of living well requires us to choose the narrow path of embracing and living with our unavoidable limitations, dependency, and suffering through cultivating the excellence of virtues.
10 Reasons to Join the Toronto Meaningful Living Group
- Discover who you really are and what you’re meant to be.
- Learn how to become a better and happier person.
- Discover your purpose and passion for living.
- Discover the roadmap to fulfill your mission in life.
- Learn what makes for the good life and how to achieve it.
- Develop a positive and hopeful mindset.
- Learn how to make a difference in the world.
- Learn the keys to better relationships.
- Learn how to transform crises into opportunities.
- Meet new friends and help each other to grow psychologically and spiritually.
Join our Meaningful Living Groups